Dennis Rolf Engelbert Gnad received his B.Eng. degree in Computer Engineering from Hochschule Pforzheim University, Germany in 2011, where he did his Bachelor Thesis in Cooperation with Texas Instruments Germany. In 2015, he received his M.Sc. in Computer Science from Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany. In his Master Thesis he worked with the ITEC/CES group of Prof. Henkel with Dr. Shafique. In 2015, he became a PhD student at the ITEC/CDNC group of Prof. Mehdi Tahoori. His current research interest is resilience to physical variation, both in terms of reliability and security, primarily focussed on FPGA-based systems.
Past and Current Students:
- Jonas Krautter: Master Thesis: "On-Chip Fault Attack Analysis using shared FPGA resources"; Hiwi Side-Channels
- Hashim Syed Gillani: Hiwi FPGA Voltage Drop Sensor Calibration
- Luis Piepka: Hiwi FPGA Test Automation and Soft-Core Experiments
- Yiwei Hao: Hiwi FPGA Tests and Measurement
- Sascha Rapp: Bachelor Thesis: "Detecting malicious combinational cycles in FPGA bitstreams"
- Cong Dang Khoa Nguyen: Bachelor Thesis: FPGA Security
- Xiang Chen: Microcontroller programming
- Uzair Abbas: Hiwi FPGA Sensors / Reconfiguration / Security
- Rami Aqqad: Hiwi FPGA Sensors / Reconfiguration / Security
- Haseeb Nawaz: Hiwi FPGA Sensors
11. J. Krautter, D. R. E. Gnad, M. B. Tahoori, "Mitigating Electrical-Level Attacks towards Secure
Multi-Tenant FPGAs in the Cloud", in ACM Transactions on Reconfigurable Technology and Systems (TRETS), 2019.
10. D. R. E. Gnad, J. Krautter, M. B. Tahoori, "Leaky Noise: New Side-Channel Attack Vectors in Mixed-Signal IoT Devices", in IACR Transactions on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (TCHES), 2019.
9. D. R. E. Gnad, S. Rapp, J. Krautter, M. B. Tahoori, "Checking for Electrical Level Security Threats in Bitstreams for Multi-Tenant FPGAs", International Conference on Field-Programmable Technology (FPT), 2018, Japan.
8. F. Schellenberg, D. R. E. Gnad, A. Moradi, M. B. Tahoori, "Remote Inter-Chip Power Analysis Side-Channel Attacks at Board-Level", In Proceedings of IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD), 2018, USA.
7. J. Krautter, D. R. E. Gnad, M. B. Tahoori, "FPGAhammer: Remote Voltage Fault Attacks on Shared FPGAs, suitable for DFA on AES", in IACR Transactions on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (TCHES), 2018. (CSAW'18 Finalist)
6. D. R. E. Gnad, F. Oboril, S. Kiamehr, M. B. Tahoori, "An Experimental Evaluation and Analysis of Transient Voltage Fluctuations in FPGAs", in IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration Systems (TVLSI), 2018.
5. F. Schellenberg, D. R. E. Gnad, A. Moradi, M. B. Tahoori, "An Inside Job: Remote Power Analysis Attacks on FPGAs", in proceedings of Design, Automation & Test in Europe (DATE), 2018, Germany. (Best Paper Candidate)
4. D. R. E. Gnad, F. Oboril, M. B. Tahoori, "Voltage Drop-based Fault Attacks on FPGAs using Valid Bitstreams", International Conference on Field-Programmable Logic and Applications (FPL), 2017, Belgium. (Best Paper Award, *Stamatis Vassiliadis Award)
3. D. R. E. Gnad, F. Oboril, S. Kiamehr, M. B. Tahoori, "Analysis of Transient Voltage Fluctuations in FPGAs", International Conference on Field-Programmable Technology (FPT), 2016, China. (Best Paper Candidate)
2. D. Gnad, M. Shafique, F. Kriebel, S. Rehman, D. Sun, J. Henkel, "Hayat: Harnessing Dark Silicon and Variability for Aging Deceleration and Balancing", in Proceedings of Design Automation Conference (DAC), USA, 2015.
1. M. Shafique, D. Gnad, S. Garg, J. Henkel, "Variability-Aware Dark Silicon Management in On-Chip Many-Core Systems", in Proceedings of Design, Automation & Test in Europe (DATE), France, 2015.
Media / Talks / Demos:
D. Gnad, S. Ritterbusch, "FPGA Seitenkanäle", Gespräch im Modellansatz Podcast, Folge 177, Fakultät für Mathematik, Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT), 2018. <http://modellansatz.de/fpga-seitenkanaele>
D. Gnad, "Seitenkanal-Angriffe innerhalb FPGA-Chips", Vortrag auf der GPN18, media.ccc.de, Chaos Computer Club e.V, May 2018, Karlsruhe, Germany. <https://media.ccc.de/v/gpn18-132-seitenkanal-angriffe-innerhalb-fpga-chips>
D. Gnad, M. Tahoori, "Security threats in nanoscale FPGA fabric", Workshop on SecURity, REliAbiLity, test, prIvacy, Safety and Trust of Future Devices (SURREALIST), May/June 2018, Bremen, Germany.
J. Krautter, D. R. E. Gnad, F. Schellenberg, A. Moradi, M. B. Tahoori, "Software-based Fault and Power Side-Channel Attacks inside Multi-Tenant FPGAs", Demo Session, IEEE International Symposium on Hardware Oriented Security and Trust (HOST), 2019, USA. (BEST Hardware Demo Award, Third Place)